Add On Credit Card
The introduction of credit cards into the finance sphere has been a huge help for people in managing their finances. However, the credit cards were limited to the one who earned in the family. This was negated with the new concept of supplementary credit cards. Therefore, the credit card add on is usually issued under the original credit card. This add on is issued for parents, spouse, children and family members who are above 18 years of age. The credit card add on approval depends on the terms and conditions set by the particular bank that the credit card has been issued by. The add on can be issued for a limited number of people only and the number varies from bank to bank. This also keeps track of the expenses of the family.
What is a Credit Card Add On?
A majority of the credit card issuers often provide the facility of credit card add on or supplementary cards to the original credit card holders. The credit card add on usually has the same features as the primary credit card. This add on can be provided by the bank to the immediate family of the cardholder like their children, spouse and parents. A credit card add on can only be provided for a limited number of members free of cost. These cards will be issued without any annual or joining fee. But there might be supplementary cards which charge an annual fee, albeit relatively lower than the primary credit card. But the add on has the benefits and perks that are offered with the primary credit card too.
How Does a Credit Card Add On Work?
Any primary cardholder can apply for a credit card add on for their spouse, children and their parents. The features, offers and benefits of the credit card add on remain similar to the primary or original credit card. The number of cards that can be applied for free can differ between the credit card issuers. Ideally, the limit is kept between three to five supplementary cards. The fee for a credit card add on lies somewhere between Rs. 125 to Rs. 1000. The expenses paid for through the credit card add on are to be repaid by the primary card holder.
Features of a Credit Card Add On or Supplementary Card
The features of the primary or original card are usually translated into the credit card add on or supplementary cards. However, there might be some features that would need to be comprehended in a better manner.
- Reward Points – The reward points on the credit card add on are earned at the same rate as the primary credit card. Therefore, the rate for reward points, the minimum amount for transaction, options for redeeming the rewards etc. are the same as the original card. However, the reward points are credited to the account of the primary card holder. These can be used after being redeemed.
- Credit Limit – The credit limit for the credit card add on is also the same as that of the primary credit card. The add on can be used up to the total credit limit that has been set on the particular card account. There are some variations to this in that some credit card issuers can allow the primary cardholders to set a credit limit on the credit card add on. In this case, they can set the same credit limit as the primary credit card or lower than that. The limit on cash withdrawal or cash limit usually is set at 100% on credit card add on but it can also be lower for some banks like HDFC.
- Offers – For most of the banks or credit card issuers, the credit card add on is seen as another credit card and the offers provided remain the same. In that case the primary card holders and the credit card add on holders can avail the offers separately. These offers could pertain to some cashbacks, discounts on purchases, gifts and vouchers.
- Airport Lounge Access – This might not be provided by every bank or credit card issuer to the credit card add on holder for supplementary cards. For the priority pass program, the membership is provided to the primary cardholder and not to the credit card add on holder. However, there are some issuers that provide the complimentary lounge access to both primary and add on card holders.
Who can Apply for a Credit Card Add On?
Any immediate family member of the primary card holder can apply for a credit card add on. However, the family member must be necessarily above 18 years of age. This could be the primary card holder’s –
How to Apply for Credit Card Add On?
Every credit card issuer or bank may provide different methods to apply for a credit card add on or supplementary credit card. The most important aspect that remains constant however, is that the application for an add on can be sent by the primary card holder only. The application must be signed by the credit card add on applicants too.
For applying to own an add on credit card, the following options can be exercised:
- By submitted a credit card add on application
- Through a credit card net banking account
- By sending an SMS
- By contacting customer care of the credit card issuer
Documents Required for Credit Card Add On
Following are the documents that are to be submitted for a credit card add on application.
- Filled out application form for add on card
- Identity Proof that is self attested ( Aadhaar, Passport, Driving License, Student ID, any government recognized identity card)
- Date of Birth Proof
- Address Proof
- Pan Card
- Passport size photo of the add on applicant
Credit Card Add on Limit and Fees for Major Banks
Credit Card Issuer
Limit for Add Ons
Upto 2 add ons
Upto 3 add ons
Upto 3 add ons
Upto 5 add ons for some variants
Upto 3 add ons
Rs. 250 for Sapphiro/ Rubix/ Jet Airways Coral
NIL for other variants
Upto 3 add ons
Upto 4 add ons
Up to 2 add ons
Up to 2 add ons for Gold Cards
Up to 3 add ons for Platinum Cards
Upto Rs. 599